Review: 2010 Libtech 1986 Snow Mullet

Posted: September 7th, 2009 | Author: | Filed under: Boards | Tags: , , , | 1 Comment »

LibTech1986SnowMulletBTXLibTech’s 1986 Snow Mullet blends the taper of a Fish with features of a freeride board to create what might be the ultimate all-around powder board. Do not be mistaken: this is not Libtech’s Fish – the Mullet is clearly it’s own beast. The Mullet has a slight setback an directional flex and Magnetraction to make the board grip on hard pack without worrying about a short tail washing out. Because of the more centered stance, you don’t size down the way you would on a Fish. Riders that want a big board can get one with a Mullet, and with the centered stance and Banana Camber, enjoy the more traditional powder riding with lots of float and the ability to carve powder like it’s pack and pack like it’s powder.

Our thoughts: I haven’t been on one, but I want to. The Mullet has a unique combination of features to make it sound like a board that can really rip in all conditions, and still bring that huge smile to your face on a powder day. Given the aggressive taper, I’m not sure I’d want a Mullet as my only board, but it should be perfect for those days with mixed conditions. The Mullet seems to be perfect for weekend resort powder days in the Northwest, where you’ll be rocking fresh stashes all day, but working hard to get to them as the slopes get tracked out.

Camber: The board has Banana camber between the bindings, which should definitely further the fun factor of this ride, but is flat from bindings to tip and tail to help maintain edge pressure when you need it.

Shape: The board has a 30 mm taper, but with 1.5″ of setback, it should still ride like a traditional board.

Sizes and Options: The 1986 Snow Mullet is available in a 156, 160, and 165, and 172.

One Comment on “Review: 2010 Libtech 1986 Snow Mullet”

1. 1 Walove said at 3:59 pm on May 17th, 2010:

Been on mine for two years, in both Montana blower and Washington poopoo pow. Im 165lbs and ride the 165cm. Perfect size in my opinion tons of float but still maneuvers in tight spots. Seems to rotate from the middle when evenly weighted. It has a softer flex though, not a true freeride board at all. More a fun freestyle pow board. Banana and subtle set back makes switch pow riding manageable. Everyone who tries it loves it just a real fun board to ride in any bit of new snow. Floats so well makes a 4″ day feel a lot deeper.

Leave a Reply