Review: 2010 Ride Slackcountry

Posted: September 26th, 2009 | Author: | Filed under: Boards | Tags: , , , | No Comments »

ride slackcountryI first came across the Ride Slackcountry last March during one of those epic days at Mt. Hood Meadows. I rode up the lift out of Heather Canyon with a guy one a sparkly board with a huge grin on his face. I asked him about his board and explained that a friend of a friend knows a guy who reps for Ride and he’d gotten to take this board out for the day. “I’m definitely going to be riding this board next season,” he told me.

Ride takes a very different approach to powder riding with the Slackcountry than tapered boards like the Fish or the Snow Mullet. Rather than essentially cutting off the tail of the board causing the back of the board to sink down, the Slackcountry relies on a minor 3/4 inch setback and massive rocker. This means you can lean back effortlessly, lifting the nose of the board up to get the required powder float. The more traditional twin shape means this board will still be a blast to ride in variable conditions and will keep the freeride feel in the steep and deep.

Our thoughts: This is a beautiful board. Ride’s membrain top sheet allows them to make the board very light and give it a holographic sparkle that you won’t want to cover in stickers. I tend to prefer the surfy feel of a tapered board, but for those of you looking for more of a freestyle powder ride, the Slackcountry is a fantastic option.

Camber: The Slackcountry features Ride’s “Highrize Rocker” which is a reverse camber design where the board is flat between your feet for stability and edge control, and rockered from the bindings to the tip and tail giving the board lots of lift and float.

Size and options: The 2010 Ride Slackcountry is available in a 161, 164, and 168.

Leave a Reply