Review: 2012 Lib-Tech Birdman

Posted: October 19th, 2011 | Author: | Filed under: Boards | Tags: , , , | 3 Comments »

Lib-Tech does it again. The company that kick-started the rocker revolution and brought magnetraction to the world has a fresh take on the powder board. The Birdman takes a normal board and wraps it with a massive powder nose. The goal is to create a board with unmatched float that still holds an edge traversing across nasty stuff on the way to the goods.

A quick glance at the specs of the Birdman give a hint that something’s going on. The massive 170 has the same contact length and sidecut radius as the Attack Banana 156. It seems that Lib has taken an attack banana-lik design and mounted a massive nose on the board. The nose gives you float when you’re in powder, and the attack banana design gives you control when you’re not.

Our thoughts: Can’t wait to give one a try. One of the big complaints we have with highly tapered pow boards is that they don’t track well on edges. You don’t want to traverse an ice-field above a big cliff on a tapered board. The Birdman solves this problem by keeping the edging of a normal board. And we can only imagine what it’s like to open up in a big powder field on a 170 or 180.

Camber: The Birdman has Lib’s BTX, which is their reverse-camber “banana” design plus magnetraction.

Shape: With a nose like that, it’s clearly directional.

Sizes and Options: You’ve got two choices – massive and gigantic. The Birdman comes in 170 and 180 lengths, both are wide with 26 and 26.5 waste widths.

3 Comments on “Review: 2012 Lib-Tech Birdman”

1. 1 Mike Reed said at 11:52 am on February 10th, 2012:

Just bought one last night at our local shop strictly for deep powder days. Ride an Arbor A frame when in the groomers.

Looking forward to the 6 feet plus powder days in Alaska and Whistler, Got the board on sale..good price… beat myself up pretty badly in the deep POW on a conventional camber board trying very hard to keep the nose up. Eventually I would tire and crash …get up and go again…. bought the 180 for Bell 2 or Frontier adventures…huge vertical in northern BC… just booked 8 days in Whistler flying out on March 9th I hope it dumps like hell. Pray to the snow gods I guess..can’t wait to try it out.

2. 2 Aaron said at 12:45 pm on February 10th, 2012:

Awesome! There’s nothing more fun than riding a good pow board on a good pow day. You should have good luck at Whistler in March. That’s prime snow season. Please do report back on how the 180 Birdman rides after you’ve gotten some time on it!

Aaron

3. 3 David said at 9:16 am on July 30th, 2012:

I’d Luv to hear your opinions on the board!

Leave a Reply